10 February 2016

Starsailor - Some of Us

A friend of mine wrote "Strings" - a summary of an ordinary day in the life of ... There are days when I feel like that puppet, however fast I'm going I'm always half a step behind and unable to get caught up.

Strings

The hands of the clock clench to fists as it rings
Which urgently jerk on invisible strings
Affixed to a puppet and haul on its limbs
The puppet may fight, yet the clock always wins


A fluttering pull and the puppet will yawn
Two resolute tugs make it stretch out an arm
A yank and a shove will compel it to walk
Some twitches and heaves may allow it to talk

The strings keep on tugging, the puppet obeys
And flounders along so the tension allays
Well choreographed every step of the way
The clock holds the strings, rules the puppet’s long day

The hours grow late yet the strings still hold strong
Keep dragging and forcing the puppet along
Its steps long turned sluggish, they stumble, then cease
The puppet collapses, the string’s tugs recede ...

© 2009 Night Whispers

My friend's way of coping is writing. My way of coping is music. Starsailor's song "Some of Us" offers some other ways ...



Some of Us
By Starsailor

Heard you today. That isn't my name.
You were fast asleep. Forget what he did.
Can I be the kid, for your soul to keep?

[Chorus]
Some of us laugh. Some of us cry.
Some of us smoke. Some of us lie.
But it's all just the way,
That we cope with our lives.

I've grown to see, the philosophy,
Of my own mistrust. We all have our faults.
Mine come in waves, that you turn to rust.

[Chorus]

I've been hangin'
Onto somethin'.
You keep laughin',
Awe inspirin'.

[Chorus: x2]

My wandering soul
Found solace at last
I wanted to know
How long it would last
She's losing control
She's coming down fast
The heart that I stole
I'm not giving back
Never giving back

Songwriters: BARRY WESTHEAD, BENJAMIN BYRNE, JAMES STELFOX, JAMES WALSH

© Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC
For non-commercial use only.

No comments:

Post a Comment