03 January 2016

Kitaro - Matsuri (live)

My parents weren’t big on letting their pre-teen kids watch TV, and bedtimes were adamantly set and to be observed. Of course, any exception such as allowing us to watch ‘adult’ TV on occasion made those TV programs extra special. One of those exceptions was “The Silk Road: The Rise and Fall of Civilizations” which aired way past my then bedtime.
I have to admit that I don’t recall too much of the documentary (I’ll have to search the web – I sure would love to see it again). What I do recall is the amazing soundtrack (composed by Kitaro) and breathtaking pictures of sweeping foreign landscapes beckoning to be explored ...

From what I've read (and hear in his music), Kitaro appears to be a fascinating and admirable human being. Wikipedia accounts:
When asked about his music, he said, "I never had education in music, I just learned to trust my ears and my feelings." He credits ‘powers beyond himself’ for his music, saying, "This music is not from my mind. It is from heaven, going through my body and out my fingers through composing. Sometimes I wonder. I never practice. I don't read or write music, but my fingers move. I wonder, 'Whose song is this?' I write my songs, but they are not my songs."

Matsuri (祭?) is the Japanese word for a festival or holiday. Kitaro’s Matsuri always manages to draw me in with the percussions, keep me afloat with the melody, and leave me smiling

No comments:

Post a Comment