07 August 2016

Leonard Cohen - Bird on the Wire

Today I learned that Marianne Ihlen has died last week. Marianne Ihlen is the 'Marianne' addressed by Leonard Cohen in his song 'So long, Marianne'. One of the articles reporting of her passing also mentioned that 'Bird on the Wire' was among her favorite songs. Here's to you, Marianne - Rest in Peace ...



Bird on the Wire
Leonard Cohen

Like a bird on a wire
Like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free
Like a fish on a hook
Like a knight in some old fashioned book
I have saved all my ribbons for thee



And if I, if I have been unkind
I just hope you will let it go by
And if I, if I have been untrue
I hope you know it was never to you

Like a baby stillborn
Like a beast with his horn
I have torn everyone who reached out to me

But I swear by this song
And by all I have done wrong
I'll make it all up to be

I saw a young man leaning on his wooden crutch
He called out to me, "Don't ask for so much"
And a young woman leaning in her darkened door
She cried out to me, "Why not ask for more"

Like a bird on a wire
Like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free

Songwriters: LEONARD COHEN

© Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC

For non-commercial use only.
Data from: LyricFind

No comments:

Post a Comment