30 March 2018

Pentangle - Reflection

Artists have an immense amount of tools at their disposal to paint their mental picture of the world and convey it to their audience. Be it the colors of the rainbow and the texture of the brushstroke used to paint a picture, the words, syntax and possibly the rhyme to tell a story, the melody, the rhythm and instrument to perform music. A song can expand the palette of the artist by adding words.
Reflection by Pentangle to me is a perfect amalgam of words and music, voices and instruments. It is hard to believe that it dates back to 1971 – more than 45 years ago.
(I'm also having a hard time with the classification as folk-rock, but that may be just me and my peeve with classifications.) The song certainly could have been created far more recently. I take hope from the last verse …


Last night the sky Was filled with light
I saw the sun's reflection Saw the whole world take flight
Saw the whole world take flight

I heard the guns of heaven Thundering in my ears
I opened wide my eyes And watched the whole world disappear
And watched the world disappear

I reached out my hand There was no one there
Just this empty room So cold and bare
So cold and bare

I'm gonna climb my tower And survey the earth
Gonna cross the ocean Gonna ride the surf
Gonna ride the surf

People told your mother What I've been through
She signed away your soul Onto Satan's crew
Onto Satan's crew

And as you sail away On that flaming tide
You see your own reflection On the other side
On the other side

I’ve seen the devil’s face I’ve looked in his eyes
I’ve searched for satisfaction Disillusion in his guise
Disillusion in his guise

I’ve got a notion And I’m sure I’m right
My sun will rise again And put evil out of sight
Put evil out of sight

No comments:

Post a Comment