27 December 2015

Leonard Cohen - Hallelujah

I've been a fan of Leonard Cohen since I've first heard his music back in my teens. Perhaps the initial fascination was somewhat influenced by the fact that I had just lost my father and the ambiguity I found in the lyrics seemed to fit any mood -it still does- while the harmonies always sooth. Back then I drove my poor mother to distraction by playing Leonard Cohen songs for hours deep into the night. Imagine my utter astonishment -and delight, of course- when about 20 years later my mother called me to let me know that she'd gone to a Leonard Cohen concert and absolutely loved it.
 
Hallelujah (/ˌhælɨˈluːjə/ HAL-ə-LOO-yə) is a transliteration of the Hebrew word הַלְּלוּיָהּ (Modern halleluya, Tiberian halləlûyāh), which is composed of two elements: הַלְּלוּ (second-person imperative masculine plural form of the Hebrew verb hallal:
an exhortation to "praise" addressed to several people) and יָהּ (the names of God Jah or Yah).[Wikipedia] However, reading -or listening to- the lyrics it appears that Hallelujah may just as well substitute for tears. Today, it's a prayer of gratitude and tomorrow is always hours away, or minutes or seconds ...
 
I've copied the lyrics after the video to read along. I hope you enjoy!
 
 
I heard there was a secret chord
That David played and it pleased the Lord
But you don't really care for music, do you?
Well, it goes like this, the fourth, the fifth
The minor fall and the major lift
The baffled King composing Hallelujah
Hallelujah

Well, your faith was strong but you needed proof
You saw her bathing on the roof
Her beauty and the moonlight overthrew you
She tied you to her kitchen chair
She broke your throne and she cut your hair
And from your lips she drew the Hallelujah
Hallelujah

Now, maybe there's a god above
As for me, all I've ever learned from love
Is how to shoot at someone who outdrew you
But it's not a cry that you hear tonight
It's not some pilgrim who claims to have seen the light
No it's a cold and it's a very broken Hallelujah
Hallelujah

Oh people, I've been here before
I know this room and I've walked this floor
You see, I used to live alone before I knew you
I've seen your flag on the marble arch
But love is not a victory march
It's a cold and it's a very lonely Hallelujah
Hallelujah

Well, there was a time when you let me know
What's really going on below
But now you never show that to me, do you?
But remember when I moved in you
And the holy dove was moving too
And every single breath we drew was Hallelujah
Hallelujah

I’ve done my best, I know it wasn’t much
I couldn’t feel so I learned to touch
I’ve told the truth I didn’t come here to London just to fool you
And even though it all went wrong
I stand right here before the Lord of Song
With nothing, nothing on my tongue but Hallelujah
Hallelujah

Songwriters: COHEN, LEONARD
© Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC For non-commercial use only.
Data from: LyricFind *
*I made some adjustments to the lyrics to fit with the live version in the YouTube video

No comments:

Post a Comment